Sunday, November 1, 2009

Good grief, how can I be so old?

So, here's the deal. I have basically ignored AGE. Yeah, I know it's around, lurking over my shoulder, taunting me with its evil wiley ways and manical laugh, but I thought maybe if I gave AGE the silent treatment, it just might pack up and go bug some other middle aged woman who is trying to grow old discretely. In some cultures, I could be somebody's Great Grandma, for goodness sakes, and in some other (CRAZY) cultures, I could be having another child......why do I have to be a slave to some number? ........I guess I just hate that my number defines me. There is an expectation that goes along with every age, right?
We tell people to, "Act your age!" and we are quick to jump on someone's behavior when it doesn't meet our age appropriate standard. However, there are certain stereotypes we put on age that are starting to resemble me.....The day after my birthday, I got an invite from the AARP. I worry that I will start to lose my "relevance"as I get older. Yeah, yeah, I know the stories about the artists who produced great works at substantial ages, and I'm certainly not as old as I hope to be, AND I realize that the alternative to growing older is not living, but really, 50?

1 comment:

Kim said...

50 when rounded to the nearest century makes you close to a 100 years old -- but on the other hand, you're virtually a newborn if rounding to the nearest millennium.

I remember being hit with an invitation to AARP when I hit 50 though if I remember correctly one needed to be 55 to join.

You'd think that by targeting that population, they would avoid asking them five years ahead of time -- how many of us are likely to remember?

But I would suggest that you might consider yourself fortunate that AARP was interested in you. Just imagine if only the ol' ladies were, then you might have to deliberate whether to be a WARP member! (Or worse yet, once they find out you have been an educator: WARP-ED member!)

Take care, and remember, as long as you can outrun any grandchild under the age of 16 months, remember when their birthdays are, and still have a majority of your teeth -- you can't be all that old -- no matter what number they attach to you.

Kim