Saturday, April 12, 2008

Out with the old


There is something about springtime that just makes me want to throw things away.  I want to see things clean and dust free, drawers that are free of stuff I never wear, papers I have been saving trashed, and, in short, everything neat, tidy, and spring-cleaned.  Now, here is the rub:  I want everything to be be clean, but I don't necessarily want to be the one to clean it!  Every time I start a home project, I get overwhelmed.  I am not a decorate or a remodeler.  When someone says, "Anyone idiot can do it!" they haven't met me.  For instance, in my room are some very old blue curtains.  The are uuuuuuugly and I look at them and wish I could figure out a way to change them.  Yeah, I know, it can't be too hard, right?  Well, they are on a rod with a pulley system and I once tried to change out curtains like this and I ended up breaking them.  I've always just had curtains I could slide on a rod and use tie backs when I needed to open them.  Did I just not get the decor gene that most women I know have?  Am I just not adventurous enough?  I want decorating to be static; you know, I just want to do it once and then forget about it.  Unfortunately, styles come and go and stuff changes.  Today I threw out a half dozen wall hangings I made 15 years ago - all with hearts and sentiments about home and covered with dust.  How did I ever think they were cute?  I need a decorating makeover.    

3 comments:

LosPeterson said...

Maybe you should paint the curtains. Then you wouldn't even have to take them off the rod. Christopher Lowell would do it, I think...

I do empathize with you on the decorating woes. That's why I married a man who is "17% stereotypical gay" (big difference between the stereotypical kind and the real thing). Chris loves to decorate.

Nat said...

I think you should just tear down the house and start from scratch. How fun would that be! :)

Linne Haywood said...

I think Rick should become 17% gay. then our neighbors would tear down our house for us.