Tuesday, February 12, 2008

First you lie...then you steal...


About ten days ago, I left my classroom unoccupied to teach a class in another building. While I was gone, someone stole my BRAND NEW ipod touch.....yeah.....it just pisses me off recounting it here.  The problem with someone stealing from me is that I suspect everyone and it makes me want to think of the worst of all.  I just took a new 9th grade class and I wonder if it was one of them?  Maybe the kid I hollered at in the hall the other day?  Maybe my chronic skippers or the known drug users in our school?  Maybe it is someone I wouldn't normally suspect.  I put the word out to all my kids, offered a reward, and was SURE that I would get the ipod back right away.  No such luck.  
I taught in one of the poorest barrios in El Paso, TX and in a school that catered to low income students in Louisville, KY, and no one ever took anything from me ever.  I grew up in a small town in Alaska where no one locked their doors and people left their car keys on the floorboards of their cars in case anyone wanted to borrow a vehicle.  I don't steal and I am flabbergasted that anyone would steal from me.
One student told me it was my own fault for leaving my ipod unattended.  I suppose he is right, but, what the hell?  My Mom used to tell us kids, "First you lie, then you steal, and then you murder."  Of course this was her way of keeping us from stealing the chocolate chips, but it sure worked.  

2 comments:

JUDE said...

Where are the Gestapo or raw meat eating , eye bulgeing, lip narling, being restrained at the end of the chain Doberman's when you need them.

This really gets my blood boiling...
My Mother looked me in the eye when i was about 10 years old ,guess I could say nine and 3/4 old. Pointed her long crooked Bonny index finger looking over her reading glasses and said ,
"Karma my dear girl .. Do wrong and you will get it"..
... True .
When i do or say something bad .. Karma comes home to roost ... Sometimes it's losing my keys , sometimes its not finding something i need right now .. and sometimes it's knowing that i have to say Sorry to someone I really don't want to talk to.

Bad news in this case is you may not get to see the black goblins take the rascal away to rot...

I say lets install the ol' Pillory.. eeeooo I know a few people i would like lock up for a day or two. smear them with honey on a hot day and let Nature take it's corse
It's just unfortunate rhetoric is just,words,words that can't change the feeling of mistrust , save our wounds, undo the injustice.

I oft times long for vigilante justice ... the crowd gathering strength rounding the corner at Darrington St. marching up Fir street ...blazing torches held high,,,
voices rising to a frenzy.. in unision ..
justice ... Justice ... justice...
Release the hounds ...

the villain .. running for their life...heart pounding so loud in his/her throth they can not hear the crescendo of voices or the burgeoning angry crowd... closing in on them .
there the culprit is, at the end of the chase pinned against the wall by the relenless ... baying..hounds ... the thief shiving, praying, on their knees begging for forgiveness .
I'm briging Justice back ....

Linne Haywood said...

Judy, you are amazing. I will call you the next time someone does me wrong!

Linne